Today the rain stopped, the sun came out, and we were stuck in the workshop restoring chairs. The salvaged Robin Day Polo chairs needed a bit of tender loving care, a rub down with wire wool, a lick of paint, looking good, does my bum look big in this?
After a gloriously sunny Sunday, a marvelously muddy Monday, out in the field constructing the huge wooden platform bases for the safari tents to sit on.
Today, in the rain, the two wooden platforms were constructed and lifted into place, these are the bases which the safari tents will sit on. They look huge! Unfortunately so do the muddy tractor tracks in the meadow grass.
Our little summer house is getting a makeover and will be the honesty shop, but first we need to move it.
The plan the boys came up with was to pick it up with a giant transporter, a bit like a fork lift truck only much bigger. Lift it up in the air high enough to go over the granite gate posts, low enough to avoid the trees. Well it was a good plan, ok we got a bit stuck, sacrificed a few branches, held our breath, but thankfully the summer house survived the ordeal and is now sitting happily with a nicer view, all that’s needed now is a coat of paint or two for the tranformation from summer house to honesty shop.
The fishing net had been rescued from the beach a few summers ago and has been waiting patiently for a new purpose in life. Then we thought of putting a hammock up in the woods and bingo, what could be more perfect than an upcycled fishing net, strong and weather proof, so we set to work. A couple of recycled fence posts as spacers, some strong rope for the sides and someone who can tie really good knots. Oh yes, and not forgetting someone to test it out, yep, it works, ooooh, do I have to get out?
Hanging out in the woods has never been so much fun!
So off to the chandlery for some thick rope, not the scratchy type but nice soft skin friendly rope. Find a tall tree with strong branches, a ladder and a brave sole to climb to the top, tie a knot, or two, add a sturdy stick to make a kind of seat, hey presto, time to testo!
Archaeological Watching Brief. Digging for history
An archaeological watching brief at Chymder Farm was prompted by the presence of cropmark features identified from aerial photographs in both fields associated with the development. The cropmarks indicated the presence of what appeared to be two prehistoric/Romano-British settlement enclosures and an associated field system.
A single Iron Age/Romano British pottery sherd was found on the site of a round in 1975 which lies only 0.5km to the north-east of Chymder.
We spent the whole day with a toothless bucket cafefully digging the top soil for all the service trenches with our friendly archaeologict Jo, who was on the lookout for any sherds of pottery or bones that would date the site. Although the colour and texture changes in the soil matched exactly with the settlement locations on the map, nothing of any significance was found. Mixed feelings all round, it would have been nice to have unearthed a valuable piece of history, but if we had it may have delayed our digging schedule!
The first stage of our glamping project is to run water and power up to the top of the field where the safari tents will be sited. This means digging trenches along the edges of the fields, under the Cornish hedges and excavating a huge hole in the meadow for the septic tank. We also had to fulfill our archaeological planning condition, to remove all the top soil in one day….we started at 7am, we kept digging all day and finished at 7pm.